...so tiny, so loved, and so unaware of what life had in store. As a 45 year old women, I feel the same way: loved and unaware of what life has in store!
I am convinced that your 40's are a time of re-birth. But this time, you come into the world with clarity around what you don't want, a fuller understanding of who you are, and hopefully the tools to move forward to the next phase of life in a healthier and happier way.
What am I taking into my next chapter? Here are a few important points, in no certain order that I have learned moving into mid-life (did I just say that?!):
1. The gift of my 40's has been learning to leave the what if's, should have's, and could have's behind and instead focus on where my feet are planted at the moment. Not looking behind, or ahead, but finding the peace and contentment in the now.
2. Beauty sleep is no joke, get eight hours or the lack of sleep will show both inside and out.
3. Don't skip the dentist. Deep cleanings are not a walk in the park, and laughing gas is expensive.
4. Show all people respect first and foremost. My dad always said, treat the bellman with the same respect as you would the General Manager of the hotel.
5. Forgiveness really is for the person doing the forgiving. It has absolutely nothing to do with the person being forgiven.
6. Hard times will always reveal true friends, and when they are revealed hold them close.
7. Expectations are a fast track to resentments.
8. Happiness is truly and inside job.
9. Comparing yourself to other people is tantamount to self abuse.
10. Aging gracefully is preferred, but a little Botox doesn't hurt - every once in awhile.
11. Love this, inspired by a friend of mine: You can have excuses or results but not both.
12. Always ask for what you need, all they can say is no.
13. Beauty is being comfortable in your skin, and body weight does not define you. (still working on this one)
14. Sit with, and walk through - not around, difficult emotions. There is a gift waiting on the other side.
15. A glass of wine at the end of each day is not only imperative, it can be healthy too.
16. It sounds trite, but it has been proven in my life to be true: If God closes one door eventually He opens another. And what is waiting behind that door is even better. And tied to that, old ways don't open new doors...so then there's that.
17. Being creative is as important as sleep in my life (back to #2)
18. Confidence is silent and insecurities are loud. When you are confident you don't have to sing your praises, people will know.
19. Doing something nice for someone else always makes you feel better on any day. And if not, it makes them feel better and that glass of wine mentioned in #15 never hurts.
20. I saw this somewhere but it is a lesson it took me years to learn. "No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys."
There are so many other concepts and lessons that I am taking into this next phase of my life, but these are some of the top 20 that I can think of now.
So here's to the next 45, and what I am meditating on this morning....